Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Birthday Post


It's my Birthday. It's the anniversary of the day I was born. I don't feel special. Nothing of significant importance happened from yesterday to today. I mean, I aged 1/365.25th yesterday, but nothing magical happened at 11:59:59.
Despite my love for the Birthday party when I was younger; cake, ice cream, present's, pinata's and all, I really don't think its appropriate these days...or appropriate for me at least. Even further, I'm DEFINITELY not one those Celebrate-your-damn-birthday-for-six-weeks-straight -even-though-I-know-at-least-two-people-who've-had-Birthdays-in-between...type people.
So world, June 10th is just like any other day for me...except more people tell me to have a great day than usual, which is good I guess...manners are nice and I like a positive attitude.
Birthday or not, I do what I want. If I want a nice dinner, I eat one. If I want to get tanked, I do that. Show up to work an hour late and unshaven...done. Yeah I still have to go to work, but you know what, I've been eyeing that pair of Dunks for a few weeks now and my apartment in the trendy Lower-Haight ain't gonna pay for itself.
So its my birthday, I'm going to do what I feel like, and tomorrow, wake up and do the same. Although this attitude may come off a little poor me'ish or like a passive aggressive cry for attention, seriously, If you do what you want...everyday feels like your birthday.
Kinda reminds me of a Bad Religion song called "Hooray For Me"
"can you imagine, for a second, doing anything
just 'cuz you want to?
well, that's just what I do
so hooray for me (and fuck you!)"


So tonight, Im gonna eat me some Brazilian BBQ, go to a punk rock bar and do exactly what I feel like.
Happy Birthday Me!

3 comments:

Big Deal said...

26 down.
Got to love BBQ from different lands.
Happy late Birthday/Unbirthday

pob said...

Happy late birthday, sorry I am not good enough of a friend to not remember your birthday, but I am sure you don't remember mine so I am not really sorry at all.

Unknown said...

I think you get to the age where guys aren't allowed to have birthday parties for themselves. I could write about a 10 page rant on this, or dictate it, but i'll sum it up by saying anything after 21 is just a need for attention on a day when you (not you Ryan, people in general) didn't do anything of significance. Especially for dudes, come on bro.
After 21 you have parties, those usually happen when you get married (bachelor and wedding party), your sports team wins a meaningful game, you do something of significance at your job or through your professional career, you move into a new apartment/house, its a holiday, or you and your friends just feel like throwing a party. These all happen when you have either earned the right to celebrate yourself, or you are celebrating something with a group of people that is not squarely focused on you. The act of guilting your friends into buying you dinner and telling you how awesome you are when you have done nothing of significance to is a little off. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't mind hearing someone counter argue it.